Director, Organizational Effectiveness and Talent Development
In close collaboration with the executive team, this position is responsible to develop and lead the people strategies for Northwest Area Foundation (NWAF). This position will be responsible to lead all aspects of the human resources function for NWAF, with a primary focus on organizational effectiveness, talent development, and culture leadership. The Director of OE & Talent Development will report directly to the President/CEO and will be a member of the Executive Leadership Team.
We are looking for a mission-driven, inspiring leader by example! A self-starter with an ability to multi-task both tactical and complex assignments, the ability to proactively identify potential issues and develop multiple plans of action, and a positive approach with a focus on identifying pragmatic solutions that support multiple perspectives and needs: employee, supervisor, team and organizational. The successful candidate will also be a strong influencer, with exceptional listening and engagement skills, with the highest standards of discretion, confidentiality and judgement to manage sensitive issues appropriately, and a dedication to furthering the NWAF mission through the positive engagement of the organization’s people resources.
We are committed to hiring individuals who contribute to the cultural diversity of our workplace. Our hiring decisions are guided by our commitment to support our grantees, who work to build the entrepreneurial spirit, strong community ties, and untapped potential within Native nations, communities of color, rural communities, and other resilient communities who have fewer opportunities to thrive on their own terms.
- Provide leadership in developing, aligning and executing the HR plans and tactics within the organization to support the NWAF strategy, mission and values.
- In collaboration with the executive team, develop and lead the implementation of the HR plan for NWAF; translate the organization’s strategic plan into HR deliverables, tactics, and operational plans.
- Ensure organizational awareness and understanding of HR plans and engage leaders and staff in understanding their roles in executing people initiatives.
- Ensure integrated, effective and legally-compliant HR processes and practices by establishing HR processes, procedures and practices that ensure a positive employment experience for NWAF staff. As a department of one, implements all aspects of HR with support from internal and external resources as needed.
- Equip leaders and staff within the organization to ensure alignment with NWAF mission and values, structural and positional clarity, and individual and team development/effectiveness.
- Proactively assess needs at organizational, team and individual levels and use that information to implement actions, programs and processes to effectively address those needs.
- Consult on organizational structure design and develop position descriptions.
- Facilitate effective change management efforts within the organization by equipping leaders and employees with knowledge and pragmatic tools, as well as providing coaching on change management as needed.
- Develop organizational health initiatives to ensure a positive, engaging, and productive working environment for all NWAF staff.
- Ensure that top talent is effectively acquired, assessed, engaged and developed by ensuring that best-practice human resources processes and programs are in place to attract and retain top talent, to achieve a highly-engaged workforce, and to maintain a culture that supports and reinforces the organization’s mission and values.
- A bachelor’s degree in related field; master’s degree and SPHR certification preferred.
- A broadly experienced HR leader with 10+ years of human resources experience, with experience operating as a key member of a management/leadership team; experience in a Foundation or small mission-driven organization preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing an organizational HR plan and implementing organization-wide talent programs (talent acquisition, talent planning, training and development, etc.).
- Broad experience managing transactional and strategic aspects of HR.
- Experience managing vendors and consultants to accomplish HR goals.
- A forward-thinking individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image to carry the NWAF brand.
- A strategic partner and planner, with analytical ability and excellent judgment in decision-making.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Solid understanding of organizational and leadership dynamics, and an ability to operate with a high degree of discretion and strong influencing skills.
- Commitment to confidentiality and discretion when expected and appropriate.
Able to effectively relate to individuals at all levels of the organization; excellent communication skills with an ability to be diplomatic, yet direct.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Excellent facilitator with experience resolving conflicts and managing change.
- Must be both strategic and tactical, with an ability and interest to engage at a detailed level.
- Strong track record of managing and achieving organizational results.
- Proficiency with Microsoft products.